A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Winter Sowing Update

Lucky number 13 has germinated. Pansy "Chalon Supreme Mix", an heirloom from Burpee. They are described as "Ruffled, large-flowered heirloom in bold-faced shades of yellow, purple, blue, red and rose". I've had limited success direct sowing these. The last time I was able to grow them was in 2005. I posted photos here and here. As you can see, they are indeed large-flowered and ruffled.

Winter Sowing Sprouts!
Bachelor's Buttons
Calendula
Cleome "White Queen"
Cosmos "Seashells"
Johnny-Jump-Ups
Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate
Love-in-a-Mist
Nicotiana alata “Lime Green”
Nicotiana sylvestris
Pansy "Chalon Supreme Mix"
Snapdragon "Black Prince"
Verbena bonariensis
Wild Purple Foxglove

5 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

This is great :-) I'm still waiting for my last five containers to show signs of life. I'm starting to get a little worried that they won't sprout at all. I'll have to look up what I planted in them.

You sowed some really pretty stuff:-) I can't wait to see the pics of everything in your garden this year!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Colleen, I don't think it matters when you sowed them. Seeds react to the temperature of the soil. It could be that it is just not warm enough yet for them to germinate.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

That's true! LOL now I can stop worrying about that :-)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Sissy said...

I cannot wait to see your Nicotiana sylv. Mine are not germinating and the container has got mold on the one side...ugh!!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Sissy, I can't wait too! I've had no luck direct sowing them so I'm really excited that they have sprouted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home