A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Winter Sowing Update

Please bear with me. This blog also functions as my garden journal. If my winter sowing experiment is successful, I will want to do it again next year. Then I will be curious as to when seeds began to germinate this year.

Probably owing to today’s warm weather (80F, 26C), four more containers have sprouted: Johnny-Jump-Ups, Love in a Mist, Nicotiana alata “Lime Green” and Verbena bonariensis. I’m probably the only gardener in the world winter sowing Johnny-Jump-Ups, normally a nuisance in the garden. I have as much luck with them as I have with Snowdrops, so I plant Johnny-Jump-Ups every year.

Winter Sowing Sprouts!
Bachelor's Buttons
Calendula
Cosmos "Seashells"
Johnny-Jump-Ups
Love in a Mist
Nicotiana alata “Lime Green”
Verbena bonariensis

8 Comments:

At 5:01 AM, Blogger Rosengeranium said...

I don't care if Johhny Jump-up is considered a nuisance - they are lovely!

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to try winter sowing this year but didn't get around to it. I'm glad to see that your having some success with it.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Don't feel bad about losing the Johnny Jump Ups. I managed to lo errr misplace all of my forgetmenots that I planted last year in my front garden.

I like those JJU, think they are very cute and you can never have enough of them.

BTW There's a lot of kitties to be seen on my blog today if you're interested. ;-)

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Here comes a lurker out of the woodwork LOL to let you know that I ADORE Johnny Jump UPs. They are my first sign that Spring is here---I've loved them since I was a child, and I even moved some from one house to another with me. :D I've been out weeding all day and just ran in for a drink of water...blog hopped...and had to post a comment to you. :D

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

YAY!!! Congratulations, OR!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Anthony, if you go to the website, Wintersown.org, I'll think you'll find that it is still not too late to do winter sowing.

Wow, a lurker! Hi Angie! I'm glad to hear that you and Yolanda Elizabet and Rosengeranium are all fans of those cute little Johnny Jump Ups!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

I love the johnny jump up's, too. I love all violas and let the wild violets have their way in my garden`

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Congrats on all the sprouts!! I can tell you're addicted to WSing already....you just pushed Anthony to "come on, try it....it's not too late...."LOL ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home