A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Mouse & Trowel Awards

I began reading blogs a few years ago. At first it was the usual political/humor/personal offerings. Then more and more garden blogs as they gained in popularity. I even started one of my own! It was very soon after I started reading blogs that I became aware of the Bloggies, annual awards for blogs. Every year I submitted my nominations and voted on the resulting finalists. It was always great fun when one of the blogs I read regularly was nominated and/or won.

The categories change every year, reflecting the changing blogosphere. But I notice a definite bias towards political/humor/personal. So-called hobby blogs seem to be regarded as inferior. Oh sure, they've added a "craft" category. And "food" which I suppose encompasses those of us who love to cook. As the editor of Garden Voices I have seen the gardening world literally explode into the blogging universe. If knitting blogs can win awards, why not garden blogs? How about our own category?

How about our own awards? Colleen Vanderlinden of In the Garden Online has stepped up and created the Mouse & Trowel Awards celebrating garden blogs and websites. Here's our chance to showcase our hobby/passion.

In addition to the "usual" categories, she has one that is probably unique to the gardening world:
"Garden blogger you'd most like to have as a neighbor". What a great reflection of the wonderul community of online gardeners!

So get out your blogroll . . . nominations are open until Sunday, April 14. Finalists will announced on Monday, April 15. You'll be able to vote for your favorites until Friday, May 11. The winners will be announced on Sunday, May 13. Winners will be able to proudly display the Mouse & Trowel Badge on their blogs/websites demonstrating to the world that they are the best of the best as determined by gardeners from all over the world.

3 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Thanks for spreading the word :-) And, I think you might be right....the Mouse & Trowels are probably the only place you'll see a category for who you'd like as a neighbor!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I need to catch up on blogs for nominating.I love the idea of blogger you most want as a neighbour.Thats what i wrote today (sunday) about the community of garden blogs.As it says on the page advise can spread over oceans as well as over the garden gate.Very profounf but true.Thanks for telling Old Roses :)

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Snappy, I don't have my nominations in yet either! It's so hard to choose. There are so many great blogs out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home