A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

There was a time not long ago, when houseplants died horrible deaths in my home. Lately, though, I seem to have developed a Houseplant Green Thumb. I just stick stuff in pots, water them and they grow and bloom!


This is a Scilla violacea. It was a cutting given to me by the Extension Horticulturist. Sorry about the lousy picture. I’m still fiddling with the macro on my camera.

Also still blooming are the primroses and African violet featured last month.

Outdoors, the crocuses are making bright splashes of color around the yard.

This is a clump next to the door of my shed. It vies with another yellow clump in the front of my house for the title of “First Crocus” every year.

On the other side of the step are these deep purple crocus.


And last, but certainly not least, these lovely purple striped crocuses in the same bed with this year’s “First Crocus” in the front of my house.

I am very, very disappointed this spring. Last fall, I planted about 100 snowdrops and crocuses in various beds around my yard. I was hoping for a spectacular show this spring. I got nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. A few crocuses have sent up leaves but that’s all. Either the bulbs were bad or they are waiting until next year or the squirrels got them.

Next month I hope to be able to report whether or not the pink daffodils that I planted in the Entry Garden are indeed pink.


7 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Old Roses... thanks for participating again! I would guess that the squirrels got your bulbs or since it is the 1st year, they are just taking their time to come up. And congrats on your new green houseplant thumb and cable TV!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Ah, the crocuses are there so Spring is finally starting for you too. They are such cheerful little flowers, aren't they?

Love that scilla, very pretty. And how nice that you don't kill the houseplants anymore! ;-)

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Hopefully your snowdrops are just late. We had such a weird winter, after all (warm for longer than usual and all that.) Maybe they're just confused :-)

I hope some of your indoor green thumb rubs off on me...I'm still not the greatest with houseplants.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Ki said...

I hope you will post a photo of the Scilla violacea in full bloom. Our crocuses are about the same stage of growth as yours are. I hope they survive this ice and snow!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

As a former northern gardener I'm really enjoying the crocus show from other gardens - yours look great, OldRoses. I hope the snowdrops still show up.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Those are some lovely crocuses especially the violet one and your scilla bears testimony to your gardening skills! Its beautiful.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Rosengeranium said...

Congratulations! You may have developed a good sense of when to water and how much to give your houseplants. In general good watering is the big secret behind green indoor plants. Since I'm as absent minded as an old university professor I have to resort to self watering pots...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home