A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Saturday Work Day

The volunteers at Rutgers Gardens are busy preparing for plants sales in April and May. Regular Work Days are scheduled almost daily. I made some time today to help out. Our task was to create hanging baskets of petunias and fuschias .

Just like last time we started out with bales of soiless potting mix.

I worked with another volunteer filling containers with the mix:

The containers were filled with plugs from Kube Pak. These are petunias.

They are planted 5 to a pot. In just a couple of hours, close to 100 pots were created by half a dozen volunteers working in an assembly line:

Only 8 weeks left until Ag Field Day, the first big plant sale of the year.

The orchids at Floriculture are in bloom! You can see my photos of them on Flickr.

5 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Ki said...

we missed the Rutgers plant sale last year. I wanted to see some bamboos that were advertised or maybe I read about them on the Gardenweb but I will definitely try to go this year. Do you know if they have shrubs like Daphne and Osmanthus?

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Ki, I'll find out and get back to you.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Gotta Garden said...

This is such a neat thing that you do. It's very interesting to read about...assembly line baskets! I mean, I guess that's how they are created everywhere...I just never thought about it!

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

I didn't either until I started volunteering at Rutgers Gardens. I have a better understanding of how labor intensive the process is.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

How good of you to volunteer your services. I envy you your time spent in the greenhouse. It's very interesting to see how the baskets are created. Yes, I can imagine how labor intensive creating all those flats and baskets must be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home