A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Color Me Blue

Last year when I attended the NJ Flower and Garden Show, I noticed that they had added a photo competition. There were some really nice pictures. I wondered how one went about entering the competition and if my photos were good enough. This year the Garden Club of NJ sent out a notice that they were opening their flower arranging and photo competitions to Master Gardeners. I jumped at the chance to enter some of my photos.

The rules limited entries to one per category. I agonized over which photo to submit for the digital black and white division, finally settling on a photo of a wall at Rutgers Gardens that I had taken for the newsletter I created for their Open House in July 2006 and converted to black and white. I had no problem deciding on a photo for the digital color division. I submitted my favorite photo from last year of the bench in the herb bed at Rutgers Gardens.

In the teeth of the blizzard yesterday, I took my photos to the convention hall to be entered into the competition. Then I went to work. The original plan was to get off at my usual time of midnight, get a good night's sleep, work from 11 AM to 2 PM at the Rutgers Gardens booth and then enjoy the flower show until I had to leave for work at 4 PM. As noted in my previous post, the extreme weather conditions prevented the nightshift person from relieving me and I was forced to remain at work until 9 AM this morning. That gave me just enough time to drive home, feed my cats, pour a pot of coffee into myself and change my clothes so that I could arrive on time for my 11-2 shift at the flower show.


Despite not having slept for over 24 hours, I stayed on after my shift ended to tour the show. I'll do that post tomorrow. I also went over to the photo competition to see how my pictures stacked up against those of more experienced and better trained photographers. I was thrilled to death when I saw this:

That's an Honorable Mention ribbon for my black and white entry. How exciting is that????? This the first competition I have ever entered. Go me! Then I moved on to the color entries. I could not believe what Iwas seeing. I looked again and again:

That's a First Place Blue Ribbon! (The pink ribbon belongs to the photo above mine). I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I ran back to the Rutgers Gardens booth to share the good news. The Head Hatter and the volunteers took turns leaving the booth to see my ribbons and share my joy.

And now I can sleep.

12 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Congratulations! That is a great photo. Congratulations!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Not only do I envy your award-winning photography talents, OldRoses, but boy, I also covet the bench!

Congratulations!
Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's very exciting...definitely worth pulling an all-nighter for. The photos are terrific -- very deserving. I love the black and white one of the wall, and the bench photo is lovely, as well. Enjoy your victory!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

That's terrific! COngrats, and thanks for showing off, uh, sharing your photos with us [g].

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

That's so exciting! I'm really happy for you!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Congrats!!! I keep trying to work up the courage to enter the photo contest our State Fair hold every year. Maybe this year I'll actually do it ;-)

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Marc said...

That is awesome, congratulations. I'm sure that was a great pick-me-up for you since by then you had to be exhausted!

I've never even thought of entering any kind of photo contest. You've inspired me to look into what upcoming garden themed events are in my area, and which if any have a photo contest. I would enjoy just looking at the others. Your photos are great!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Xris, you're absolutely right. I WAS showing off!

One thing I forgot to mention was the theme of the photography competition: "Picture it in the garden of my dreams". Like Annie, I covet that little bench so the picture was perfect for the garden of my dreams!

My victory is even sweeter now that I know that I have inspired other gardeners to enter photo competitions. I can't wait to see the results!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful photos, Old Roses--I'm so happy that the judges recognized your work! Congrats! :)

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Gotta Garden said...

How exciting! You did it! Congratulations to you! The pictures are wonderful!

I hope by now you've recovered and rested...you deserve it!

(Do they realize what a dedicated volunteer they have in you?!)

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kim, the validation of the judges was a great feeling.

Katie, they are very aware and VERY appreciative of how dedicated and hard working I am. It's a great organization and the volunteers are fantastic people.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I'm sorry I missed this post earlier. I need to visit more often! I need more hours in the day! LOL
Good for you!!!! I'm so pleased for you and can imagine how chuffed you felt. I would too. Your two photos are wonderful, and I'm so glad you took the time to enter. I'll bet that woke you right up :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home