A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join





I loved these zinnias. They are Scabious Zinnias from Park Seed. I grew them for the first time in 2005 and although not many of them actually came true from seed like the ones in the picture, I loved the colors. I grew them again this past year and was even more pleased with them. I grow a lot of different kinds of zinnias, but these are the only ones that have attracted butterflies. I was going to order them again this year, but Park's no longer carries them probably because so few of them come true. Big sigh . . . I'm trying some new ones from Burpee called Exquisite supposedly heirlooms. I'm sure they will be very pretty but will they attract butterflies?


Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

9 Comments:

At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Zinnias also very much. They are a good meal for the butterflys.

Sigrun

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pic!

my green thumb sunday's up too!

:)

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh with the snow all over the ground it sure is nice to see a beautiful butterfly! Just last night I was trying to decide what kind of zinnias I want for this year ...

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first visit. The zinnias are lovely as are the other photos you have dotted through your blog. Can't wait for it to be spring here; cold, frosty and foggy at the moment. Happy Gardening.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo of the monarch. I could never get close enough to butterflies to photograph them. I tried to sneak up on swallowtails but they would fly off as soon as I got within shooting range.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks everyone! I'm featuring butterflies in my garden this month for my GTS posts because I'm tired of winter and need some color.

Ki, the monarchs are particularly difficult to photograph. The swallowtails are so tame, they practically pose for me!

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Naturegirl said...

Beatiful pink butterfly oh and the zinnias too!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Deb @ Sugarfused said...

Very pretty! I've tried planting flowers that attract butterflies. Not much luck last year but I'm hopeful for the Spring :)

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Deb, a butterfly bush (budleia) attracts butterflies like mad. They can get very large or you can prune them and keep them smaller. Monarchs are also very fond of tithonia (Mexican sunflowers).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home