A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday


Join



I've always been a big fan of staghorn ferns. They don't look like ferns. They don't grow in soil like ferns. The ones I had previously seen were cute little plants mounted on boards. Who knew they could grow into monsters like the one pictured above? That tiny figure underneath is actually a grossly obese man. I took this picture a year ago in the conservatory at Longwood Gardens. I'm still wondering what they feed it!



Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

6 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Staghorn ferns are intersting, and that's a big one.

I laughed when I read "I wonder what they feed it". Of course I knew you meant the plant, but then thought about it related to the man in the picture. He eats a lot, too!

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an impressive one. I love all kind of ferns. I've only seen similar to that one in greenhouses. Yes, one can wonder what they feed them....

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Carol, maybe they feed it visitors who lag behind at closing time!

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just going to say: "I bet that they feed it people!" lol.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Wow. It's true. I've never considered them growing anywhere but on a board :-) Amazing!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

My mom had lovely big ones when I was growing up in Australia. She hung them from the big ghost gum trees (eucalyptus) in our back yard.
That's a beautiful speciman. I too love ferns, especially maiden hair. Mom grew that too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home