A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, December 29, 2006

Garden Bloggers' Book Club

I can't say that I enjoyed "My Favorite Plant" entirely. It was very uneven. The essays by garden writers were wonderful. The one exception was the overly long selection from F Kingdon Ward, an English plant collector. I kept hoping he would fall off of the mountain and put me out of my misery. The essays by non-garden writers were boring. I'm not even going to comment on the poetry. I've never understood poetry. The typeface used in this book drove me batty. Sorry, I'm just not the artsy type. I will be gladly returning this volume to the library today.

On a happier note, Amazon.com has notified me that my order, consisting of the January and February selections, has been shipped. I am eagerly awaiting their arrival. I've heard nothing but praise from other gardening readers for both books.

2 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Roses, thanks for the post about the book. Your comments are in line with others who read the book. It seemed to be a difficult one to love entirely... I'll be posting with links to all the posts tomorrow.

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How different we all are! I liked that mountain ramble, and wished I could have a few servants to have hot tea waiting for me when I come in from the garden!

The typeface drove me batty, too. Too much fuss for too little payoff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home