A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Green Thumb Sunday



Last July I was asked to create a newsletter for the Open House at Rutgers Gardens. I wanted to illustrate it with photos of the wonderful plants at the Gardens but the newsletter had to be in black and white to keep the printing cost as low as possible. I modified my "theme" to places in the Gardens.

This cute little bench is in the herb garden. There is a little stone path inviting you to step into the garden, sit on the bench and enjoy the scents of the herbs such as lavenders and scented geraniums.

This is the view from the bench. Those are mints planted in clay pipes to prevent them from taking over the bed.




Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

7 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a very inviting place to sit and relax!

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I wished that I could sit on that bench NOW and look at these plants.... It looks so peaceful.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Lovely work.
Would be nice to have that colour now.

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that bench! Adding a neat bench like that to my list of wants!

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bench with basket--what garden could ask for more? Such a simple statement that gives such pleasure. The clay pipes are great! My husband and I were driving through a neighborhood on garbage day and could not pass up 4 tall rectangular clay pipes someone had put out on the curb. They weigh a lot, but into the car they went and came home with us to be used in the garden. Great idea for mints!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Every time I see that bench, I have the same thought: Do they really want people going into the herb bed to sit on the bench or is it for decorative purposes only?

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Again!
Yes, the bench is an excellent place to take a break, to touch and smell the lavender and scented geraniums and get a low to the ground perspective on the garden... So come and enjoy...
The Head Hatter

PS The basket is left for any of the gardeners who have extra produce to leave for me... I then bring it to the local Senior Citizens to enjoy! They love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home