A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Green Thumb Sunday

Join




This is a miracle. And one of the biggest reasons why I love heirloom roses. This spring, I thought my Harrison's Yellow was dead . I noticed a few leaves so I pruned away all of the dead stuff and crossed my fingers. That was in April. This picture was taken July 28, almost exactly three months later. Lots of new growth. The darned thing may actually bloom next year. Boy, those heirloom roses are tough!




Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

2 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Blogger Alice said...

They certainly are tough and this instance emphasises one of the joys that keep people out in the open air and enjoying their gardens.

I hope your rose flowers beautifully next season. Although one word of warning, your new shoots may have come from root stock and may not be the rose you think it is anymore. But I wish you luck.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

alice, you absolutely right about the rootstock. There are, in fact, two sets of growth. On the top that is Harrison's Yellow (small leaves, excessively thorny) and the bottom that is root stock (larger leaves, fewer thorns). I think I'm supposed to prune the rootstock growth back but I am curious to see what kind of flower it produces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home