A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Admitting my addiction

I went back to Home Depot today as planned. Their selection was even better than my hurried examination last weekend indicated. It was a tough decision. I limited myself to the three healthiest roses I could find. Here's what I ended up with for a total cost of under $30:

Belle de Crecy (Gallica, prior to 1829) Long mid-season bloom, non recurring. Very double, fragrant flowers are shades of pink and mauve, developing quickly so that all shades are visible on the bush. Upright rounded growth to 4 feet.

La Reine Victoria (Bourbon, 1872) Fragrant, lilac-pink double blooms are carried elegantly above the foliage from June through October. A slender, erect bush with soft green leaves on canes reaching up to 6 feet.

Madame Pierre Oger (Bourbon, 1878) Very fragrant, double, pale blush pink rose deepens in color as the sun touches the petals. Abundant bloom with a good repeat in the fall. Upright growth habit reaching 4 to 5 ft. tall; soft medium green foliage.

Despite my best intentions, I know that I will go back and buy more roses. I am an addict. Is there a 12-step program for rose addicts?

I think there may be hope for Harrison's Yellow. I thought it was dead. All my other roses are leafed out and it looks like this:

Closer examination revealed that one branch is developing foliage. I pruned away all the dead branches. Now it looks like this:

I'm leaving the roses that I transplanted and probably murdered in place. I refuse to write them off. It's still early in the season. I'm going to give them more time to adjust to their new locations and maybe start putting out new foliage. I did my usual pruning of all the dead branches off of them before I moved them, but I probably should have given them a more severe pruning.

General Jacqueminot is a definite loss, brown and shrivelled. Seven Sisters is turning brown and shrivelling up. I'm going to look up where I got it from (thank goodness for my spreadsheets!) and call the company. Hopefully, they will either send me a replacement or refund my money. I'm also keeping the Home Depot receipt. They guarantee their plants.

Maybe there is hope for me also. I have taken the first and toughest step and admitted my addiction. Now I am taking steps to minimize the financial impact of my addiction. Can recovery be far behind?

2 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Hi Oldroses i have a bad plant addiction too.If i see a colection in a shop or garden centre i have to look.Even though my hilltop garden is probably not suited for them.
how do you know the dates of the roses?Does heirloom mean cultivated in the year you put in brackets.
I have three rose types, five plants.Im hoping the new ones grow in the coalshed border.
love your pictures and the addiction because its like mine!
Sallyanne just grins and bears it when i announce im going plant shopping...

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Snappy, the dates on the roses are dates of introduction. I use several sources for them. Google, of course, and a couple of sites that sell heirloom roses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home