A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, April 08, 2006

TheFate of the Tulips

Remember those cute little tulips? They've been beheaded!


But I'm not upset because there are more of them:


Now, here's something you don't see every day. Or at least I don't. A robin sitting on the fence. They are usually hopping around on the ground looking for insects. If you double click on the photo, you'll see a pair of housefinches, male and female, on the feeder in the background.


I have to take these photos through my backdoor. I don't have a camera with fancy lenses. Believe it or not, I use the macro function on my camera to get "close-up" shots from a distance. This is a downy woodpecker.
The shot I've been trying to get for a year is of the red-bellied woodpecker. He's so shy, he flies away if he even sees me in the window.

3 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

My bird feeders are being drained slowly but apart from last years bird pic i have never seen any birds eating the free seeds!
They are like roadrunners, and im Wylie-Coyote setting up the free bird SEED.Beautiful pics though Caren

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the tulips, do you think it was deer or chipmunks/squirrels? The deer are just gobbling up my tulips but they are not near as neat as that.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

hanna,I don't have deer problems. A strange thing for anyone to say who lives in NJ! My tulips were fine until a bunny took up residence in my yard last year. Last year he dug up a lot of tulip bulbs and this year it appears he is eating all the flowers! I'm going to try spreading cat hair (my long haired cat sheds copiously) around the tulips. Supposedly that is a deterrent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home