A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I got the message . . . loud & clear!

Just in case you haven't noticed, it's been unusually cold lately. I have no urges to be outside in the yard. I haven't even been keeping up with the birdfeeders. Instead of topping them off every couple of days, I've been letting them go. There is still plenty of seed in them. I did run out of squirrel food, but I figured they could eat what was dropped from the feeders.

Apparently they feel otherwise. This is what greeted me today outside my backdoor:

It's a crocus bulb and foliage. Much like the severed horse's head in "The Godfather", I took it as a warning. Start feeding the squirrels again or risk losing my bulbs!

5 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger rfvgardens said...

If you feed them or not they'll still eat from your garden. I'm glad they don't eat as much as deer. Good luck

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger kerry said...

Oh my New Jersey squirrels have quite the attitude ;-) Better get those feeders filled before they start yanking out the roses.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger crazygramma said...

You are so funny! It is a good thing they are small if they are carrying such big attitudes.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Beth said...

We have very persnickity squirrels here too! Very funny post! Elizabeth

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee, hee! Squirre Mafioso! I found a little cayenne pepper keeps them off (as do moth crystals, but you have to be sure that pets don't eat the moth crystals).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home