A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Am I Crazy?

Please tell me that I am not the only one who does this. I've been walking around the yard, examining the gardens. The snowdrops are all blooming. The crocuses are starting to bloom. the daffs are coming up as well as some of the tulips. In my mind's eye, I have a pretty good idea of what it will all look like when the various bulbs bloom. And I am already planning for next year!! I'm already thinking about which bulbs to plant and where. Does anyone else do this or am I just crazy?

The weather has been getting warmer and warmer. Yesterday it was in the 70's (21C). I was out uncovering some of the beds. Yes, I know it is early. I know that the weather in March can still get very ugly. I'm just uncovering beds with a lot of bulbs and iris coming up. It is easier to do it now than when the plants are bigger in April. I also have daylilies, columbine and bleeding hearts coming up. I was pleased to see the Festiva Maxima peony that I planted in the fall showing some buds. I know it will be a few years before it gets big enough to bloom.

The squirrels continue to amaze me. Much as my cat uses his scratching post to "file" his claws, the squirrels use my old wooden shed to gnaw on to keep their constantly growing teeth in check. This is what they were doing all winter (click on the picture to enlarge it):

That's the TOP of the door. How did they get up there? What did they hold on to while they were chewing? Even funnier were half a dozen squirrels chasing through the trees. The group was comprised of a female in heat being pursued by five males. Three of them were either very young or way down in the pecking order. Their pursuit wasn't as ardent as the two older, more dominant males. The female made it quite clear she had no interest in any of them but every time she turned her back on them, they made a dash to get close to her. Again and again she would turn, bare her teeth and chatter menacingly. The more dominant male stayed close. Every time the other male got close, he would chase him away and then run back to the female who then shooed him away. Over and over and over again!

6 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

OMG -- that's the best time to do the planning!! You can see what you got and what you may be missing. Of course I do that!! It is too bad that you can't get the bulbs until fall. I would be planting them in the spring if I could get my hands on bulbs at that time. I'm not sure why they don't sell them then. I have planted bulbs such as tulips and daffodils in the spring and they have done just fine.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

Oh, and for the squirrels, get some wood hardener to brush on the wood. I have done that to wood on my house that the squirrels have been chewing on. They don't seem to like the taste. If you let them keep chewing, they will chew those boards in half!!
Tree rats, that's what they are!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Kasmira said...

I absolutely agree. Now is the best time to plan next year's spring garden. Write it down so that you remember in the fall!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks, Kasmira! I didn't want to admit that I plan on taking pictures to help me remember where I have bulbs and where I need some.

Sylvana, what's wood hardener? Will they know what it is if I ask for it at the hardware store?

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Actually, they start sending the bulb catalogs out in late spring. I know Brent and Becky's usually have a discount if you order by June 30th. But yes, take notes now for what you want to add to your current bulb plantings.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahhaha! I do the exact same thing. I think it's a great thing to do!

P.S. Love your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home