A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Blizzard of '06

I actually had to work last night. Driving in to work wasn't bad at all. My normal 20 minute commute only took 40 minutes. I had allowed myself an hour. Then the boss called and said once I had finished up the critical stuff, I could leave. So, after the backups had finished and the network was up and running smoothly, I headed out the door a little after 1 AM. One and a half harrowing hours later, I made it home.

Here in Central New Jersey, we only got 12" to 18" (30.5 cm - 46 cm) of snow. This is what it looked like at my house:



This is my favorite picture. My doorbell. Here's the front of my house:

And my back porch, actually the side porch because I live in a cape:

I love the way snow makes interesting shapes when it drifts. Here are my recycling containers and my garbage can:




Remember the ugly green fence that my neighbors erected last summer? This is what it looks like today:


My original birdfeeder:


Here's my newer one. Those are juncoes, normally groundfeeders, on the fence.

The picture is blurry because I took it through my kitchen window. The groundfeeding station was covered with snow. I was going to wait until it stopped snowing before putting out more food. Then I saw the poor juncoes trying to eat from this feeder:


So I went out and threw birdseed on top of the snow. This is what my backyard looked like:
I don't know why it always looks so big in pictures. It's actually very small. My entire lot is only 50' by 100' (15m by 30m) so the backyard is maybe 1/3 of that?

I have more pictures but Blogger has been so uncooperative that it has taken me four days just to upload these few. I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. I'll post the rest of what I did during the blizzard on another day.

4 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

It is so funny/weird to see these kinds of photos on blogs up and down the Northeast. Normally we see scenes like you are showing at least two or three times a winter--sometimes more often. But I don't think we've had a really big snow at all this winter. The storm that gave you over a foot of snow dropped maybe two inches on us. Just a weird, weird winter! And I'm glad you like my birdbath.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I love snow. These are great pictures. We are supposed to be getting a bunch of snow tonight.

I can't wait!!

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Wow we have been so lucky this winter, in fact the last few nights have given us a small amount of snow that is gone by noon. It is pretty cold here though. Great pictures!

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! All that snow you got last week! Your lot is the size of the one I gardened in for 22 yrs before moving to where I am now--it is amazing what you can squeeze into a lot that size. Going to the garden & flower show is a nice respite from winter, isn't it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home