A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, January 23, 2006

Wild Lupines

My first seeds arrived today. Whew! That was quick. Didn't I just order them a couple of days ago? I don't know if I've never ordered from Pinetree Garden Seeds before or if they have changed their seed packet design, but I thought they were so pretty. I love the pastel colors.



One of the packets had the most interesting planting instructions I've ever come across. They are Wild Lupines. I loved the lupines that I grew in my Wildflower Garden last year. I wanted to plant more this year. The picture of the wild lupines in the Pinetree Garden Seeds catalog was fabulous. The description sealed the deal for me:

"Some of the more refined Lupines can be difficult to grow. Not this wild forbearer. Scatter the seeds around, and you will get a nice presentation. The color will be primarily shades of blue and purple, but occasionally you will get some sports with pink or white - mark them and save seed for more variety in your stand. An interesting planting that should last and expand for years. We tossed some in a road side ditch and have been amazed at how well they are growing."

There was one problem. They only sell them in 1 ounce size. That's a lot of lupines! My Wildflower Garden is tiny. It's just an awkward space by my shed that I decided to fill in with wildflowers. I threw caution to the winds and ordered the seed anyways thinking I could just throw some in my other gardens. That's where the strange instructions came in. Here they are:

"Plant 1/8" deep or scatter the seed and walk on them."

My neighbors have seen me do a lot of crazy things in my gardens, but tramping around the beds just might be the deciding factor in whether or not they should stage an intervention!

4 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was quick! I like Pinetree Garden Seeds. They are very pretty seed packets. And wild lupines--I might have to copy you and order some too! Lupines are fabulous. Good luck w/your seeds.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Ah Lupines now I need some of those for the side of my house,I ordered a seed catalog almost 2 months ago that has not arrived and you already have your seeds. Not fair.

I would love to see you stomping on the seeds. LOL

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

You do what you gotta do.

I have not had much luck with lupines. I thought they were a perennial. Aren't they?

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Sylvana, I only had a few lupines germinate last year because I was using old seed. Flower seeds don't stay viable more than 1 or 2 years unlike veggie seeds. I don't know if the few plants I have will survive the winter or if they reseeded at all so to ensure that I have more this year, I bought (fresh) seed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home