A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, December 23, 2005

More Roses Than You Can Shake a Stick At!

I had planned on moving some of my roses and adding more roses next year. I had a pretty definite idea of what and where. Then Jung Quality Seeds catalog arrived today and I am back to the drawing board. They are offering an incredible number of heirloom roses at fabulous prices:



New Dawn, introduced 1930



Zephirine Drouhin, introduced 1868



Seven Sisters Rambler, introduced 1817

The Fairy, introduced 1932



Frau Dagmar Hartopp, introduced 1914




Therese Bugnet, introduced 1950


Hansa, introduced 1905



Blanc Double De Coubert, introduced 1892

I can narrow down my choices a tiny bit. I already own "The Fairy" and the "Zephirine Drouhin" that I planted last year under my bird feeder died a horrible death mercilessly chewed by squirrels so I was planning on replacing it but in another spot. I have always wanted a Seven Sisters Rambler because I love the idea of seven different colors on one bush.

It's gets more difficult after these choices. I probably should wait. There will be more catalogs and then in the spring I can usually find roses locally, sometimes in the strangest places. Remember, this past spring I found "The Fairy" and "General Jaqueminot" on a sale table in my local Drug Fair for $4.97 each. They are both growing nicely. I expect they will survive the winter with no trouble. In fact, "The Fairy" is one of the roses I plan on moving. It will be the centerpiece of a new cottage-style garden I am planning for the front of my house. I'm going to attempt to apply some of what I learned in the landscape design classes I took this past fall. It will involve digging up a significant amount of lawn so depending on what the weather is like in the spring, this garden may or may not get created. I still have beds that need widening in the backyard. I should finish them before I attempt any new projects.

5 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

I LOVE my Therese Bugnet. It smells incredible and continued to put out blooms thru August. It does get VERY tall, though. I will have to cut mine back much harder this year.

How do you like Jung Seeds? I got my first catalog from them. I'm planning on buying a bunch of the woodland wildflowers.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

I've ordered from them before, but I can't remember what so I don't know how anything did. I have to start keeping better track of what I'm ordering from where and how those seeds/bulbs/plants do in my gardens.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

The New Dawn looks like the bush I purchased called White Dawn and if you love white roses this is a must. Mine has taken right off and bloomed all summer. It was one of the ones I got for $6.97 at Walmart.

So many choices though and not enough dirt.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

Ooo! I just got my new Jung catalog too. They are actually only a few hours from my home, so if I wanted to I could go pick up everything. My parents stopped there once and said that it was definitely worth a visit!!

I'm going to have to take a look at that catalog.

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Ashutosh said...

Hi,
This is Ashutosh from http://ashutoshagrawal.blogspot.com.

Thanks for your 50 shares. I think you are somewhat interested in nature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home