A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My New (Flower) Pot

Well, the big snowstorm was a whole lotta nuthin, at least in this part of New Jersey. South of us got clobbered, but we only got about 1 inch (2.5 cm). Still, I refilled the birdfeeders and spread more seed underneath before I left the house to buy my Christmas tree. When I returned, there were squirrels everywhere. On the fence, on my back porch, under the feeder. When I got out of the car, it was like a gray furry explosion as they raced for safety in the nearby trees.

Another storm is on its way for the end of the week. The weather forecasters promise this one will definitely produce more snow. My snow shovel is on my back porch in readiness. In the meantime, I'm trying to decide where to put my new pot.

I've been having the best time telling people: "I went to my girlfriend's house for Thanksgiving. She promised to send me home with leftovers. Instead, she gave me an empty flowerpot. Do you think she is trying to tell me something?" Actually, I'm glad she did. I don't need leftovers. I've been working hard at losing the weight I gained when I quit smoking. And I'm in the market for a big flowerpot.

It's for my latest attempt at growing catnip. I tried growing it from seed. The neighbor's cat rolled ecstatically in it until it was destroyed. A gardening friend sent me a mature clump. The neighbor's cat rolled ecstatically in it until it was destroyed. This past season, a few plants that had somehow survived tried to grow amongst the sage. The neighbor's cat either didn't find them or didn't consider them worth rolling in. They died a natural death from lack of light.

My third, and final attempt, at growing catnip is going to be in a pot. The theory is that the cat can't/won't roll ecstatically in it if it is off the ground and in a pot. Now that I have the pot, I just have to decide where to put it.

No, I don't think I like it against the gray stone of my front porch.

It does look a little better against the wood of my "rustic" back porch.

This is definitely the place. It belongs in the garden. It's a real beauty, isn't it? Almost forgot, "Disclaimer: The above photos were taken prior to the recent snowstorms. They are in no way indicative of the current weather conditions". Just in case anyone doubts that New Jersey maybe about to experience a quite rare white Christmas.

2 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Don't start your catnip seeds too early! I started mine indoors last year and the poor spindly things had to wait months before the frosts ended.
If you have a grow light, then perfect!

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

What a great pot, hope that the catnip grows for you. A big pot of chocolate mint would look great too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home