A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, November 14, 2005

Still planting bulbs

I took advantage of the warm weather to get more bulbs in the ground. The Green garden is completed: green tulips, green daffodils and double snowdrops. I realized that I could add white crocuses and white grape hyacinths. Next year, next year. I planted Actaea daffodils at the base of the butterfly bush to replace the tulips that the rabbit ate this spring. The "bonus" Thalia daffodils went in front of the Alpine strawberries. There is a large space in front of it now that I have widened that border. The Icestick tulips went into the Purple garden. Also in the Purple garden I planted a purple poppy amongst the Anise Hyssop, the idea being that when the poppy dies back after blooming, the Anise Hyssop will fill in. The Batik iris (purple version of the infamous Baboon's Bottom iris) was tucked in between the Anise Hyssop and the common Sage. The Baboon's Bottom iris is in what will be my new Cottage Garden along with the Iris dardanus, an heirloom iris. Last but not least, in the Wildflower garden, I planted Golden Bells daffodils and English bluebells. Both are supposed to naturalize. I tried for a "natural" look and tossed the bulbs into the bed, planting them wherever they fell.

I had to be careful planting the bulbs because the wild columbine is still settling in after I transplanted it to spread it out last month. And one lupine is still blooming!


Also looking extremely well are the hellebores. I complained so bitterly about them last spring when they didn't do well and now they are doing great. I planted more a few weeks ago and they are also doing well, creating what I'm hoping will be an attractive ground cover in front of the birdbath.

The birdbath is full of leaves instead of water. I want it to dry out before the deep freeze settles in so that the bowl doesn't crack. Unfortunately for my many feathered friends, I am not mechanically inclined enought to install a heater and keep it full of water all winter. It would involve running an extention cord the length of my backyard. Even if I figured out how to do that safely, I have no outdoor outlets.

3 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger Stuart said...

I've never seen green daffodils or green tulips before. Are you planning to put some photos on your blog when they flower? I certainly hope so.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

I've never seen them either. And there will definitely be pictures! When you have time, take a stroll through the archives for lots of pictures of my past and present gardens.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

I can hardly wait for the spring pictures to start popping up. And we have only just had out third snowfall, I think winter is going to feel very long this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home