A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Bulb Planting at Rutgers Gardens

I joined the volunteer program at Rutgers Gardens back in September. I was taken on a wonderful orientation tour and then put on the email list that goes out weekly with the volunteer schedule. I helped set up for their annual Fall Foliage Festival on the first weekend of October but my work schedule and subsequent health issues prevented me from participating in other activities. The wonderful woman who manages the volunteer program even called me to make sure I was receiving the emails.

Today I was finally able to go back to the gardens. They had ordered $500 worth of bulbs to sell at the Festival. The weather was so bad that day (pouring rain) that not many people came and very few bulbs were sold. Our project for today was to plant the left over bulbs. It was a perfect autumn day. Maybe a little too chilly but we were all dressed in layers and digging hundreds of holes kept us warm. At first, I was pretty intimidated by all of the cartons of bulbs. I had never seen so many at once. Narcissi, snowdrops, grape hyacinths, glory of the snow and alliums. There were six of us working. We got everything planted in three hours.

Now I just have to remember to bring my camera with me next year whenever I am working in the gardens so I can take pictures of my handiwork!

4 Comments:

At 2:21 AM, Blogger Alice said...

Thank you for your comments about my garden and the Chinese Lanterns (Abutilon). I've never grown them from seed but they strike very readily from cutting. That red one is about 6 years old now and is covered in flowers all year. My mother loved them too, in fact she loved any flower that was shaped remotely like a bell.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

wow thats a lot of planting so I will not worry about the measly 60 bulbs I have to plant. Can't wait to see all the flowers.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

The very first year that I planted bulbs at my house I had over 500 bulbs to plant. It was just me and my husband to do the whole job! But it was well worth it!

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, don't forget your camera next time! What a great volunteer project to be involved in--that's a wonderful way to learn & see so many plants & meet likewise thinking people. I plan on planting some bulbs today before it gets any colder, now you have all inspired me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home