A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Thank You Ophelia

I awoke to pounding rain this afternoon. The first bands of showers from Hurricane Ophelia had arrived. You could almost hear the plants saying "Aaaaaahhhhh. . . finally". The thunder rumbled, the lightening flashed, the rain flattened everything in its path. It was too much at once and flash flood warnings were posted throughout the area. As the storm slowly moved out, I took my camera outside and surveyed the damage.

Goldenrod


Sunflowers



Even the zinnias gave in.

Is this what they mean by "localized flooding"?

5 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Ha that looks like my driveway when it rains!

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a pathway that floods like that . I've been thinking about stepping stones for a few years now.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my girls lives in Nova Scotia. They are battening down the hatches (?) in anticipation of Ophelia's arrival there tomorrow.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that. I remember what it felt like after our big hail storm.

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Crazygramma - I get the big floods at the end of my driveway.

Beverly - that path is actually paved. It just rained so hard and so fast that the water couldn't drain away.

Sabine - I hope they make it through okay. I think I prefer blizzards to hurricanes. Maybe it's because I grew up inland and to the north so I am more familiar with snowstorms. They don't frighten me as much as hurricanes.

Sylvana - I don't mind. Everything was pretty much on its last legs anyways. Now if this had happened at the height of the growing season, I probably would have been beside myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home