A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, August 29, 2005

All You Can Eat!

I was in the backyard yesterday morning after work deadheading and collecting seeds when I saw a sudden flash of color out of the corner of my eye. I whirled around and saw it land: a goldfinch. He had been sampling the purple coneflower heads in the Purple Garden then moved on to the ones in the Cosmos Garden.


I have heard that goldfinches are partial to large seedheads like these, but this is the first time I have witnessed it. That is partly my fault. I am usually pretty good at getting rid of dead and dying flowers but it has just been so hot this summer that I have been neglecting a lot of clean-up chores.

Needless to say, I will be leaving the dead flowers on the Purple Coneflowers and the Black-Eyed Susans in hopes that the word will get around the goldfinch community that the buffet is open in my garden.

3 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the goldfinches! They do enjoy seedheads on plants. Some plants I don't clean up for that reason. Ornamental grasses are a big hit with the birds too. I have one outside my kitchen window that the goldfinches love. They land & eat & bend the grass stem to the ground--it took me awhile to figure out who bent the plant down...I bet you'll see more finches.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, OldRoses! I will be leaving my coneflowers to go to seed for the birds, too. I used the deadhead them.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Judith, I haven't seen more finches but they must be visiting because the seedheads are being decimated!

Sabine, you're welcome! I hope you get lots of colorful visitors too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home