A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Photo of the week

I had been hoping the orange butterfly would come back so I could get a better picture. He did and I did. I just love the polka dots on his body!


I'm reading a book on attracting butterflies and hummingbirds and it confirms my own observations that the Aztec sunflowers, aka Tithonia, attract butterflies, especially monarchs. They love them not just for the color but also because they favor daisy-type flowers which offer secure platforms for feeding . Tithonia are also supposed to attract hummingbirds but I haven't seen any in my garden.

6 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger SierraBella said...

Beautiful picture!

 
At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying to get a picture of a butterfly all week. The kids think it's hilarious watching me run all over trying to catch it on a flower.

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks, sierrabella! I can't believe how well it came out. I have a cheapo camera.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

ah HAH! You have a monarch butterfly there! State butterfly of Texas, and one that I grow butterfly "weed" to feed the larva and adults.

:0)

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

Yep, that is DEFINITELY a Monarch.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Beverly, it IS difficult to get pictures of butterflies. Some are shyer than others and just don't allow you to get close.

Nancy and Sylvana, thanks for the ID. I was pretty sure it was a monarch, but there are several that look like them. Is it the polka dots that makes it a monarch?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home