A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, August 11, 2005

What's Blooming Now

97F (36C) today. I'm wilting in the heat. The annuals are loving this weather. Here are some of the cosmos. The pink are Picotee and the yellow and orange are Bright Lights:








These are my favorite heirloom zinnias. Can you tell why they are called "Persian Carpet"?
The Candy Cane Zinnias disappointed. There were only a few blossoms that looked like this:



Most of them looked like this but in red and white. So far, this is the only yellow one:
While we're on the subject of disappointments, remember the red marigolds I was so excited about? That first blossom was so great that I prematurely made the decision to grow them again next year. Prematurely, because the rest of the blossoms have looked like this:

Pretty, but not what I was expecting.

The calendulas are still going strong.
And last, but certainly not least, I have my very first Kong sunflower towering (but not by much) over the Aztec sunflowers.


1 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

Oh, yay! Pretty flowers! I need to grow more zinnias next year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home