A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Tropical New Jersey

The remnants of Hurricane/Tropical Storm/Tropical Depression Dennis blew through New Jersey on Sunday. It had started raining before I left work Sunday morning. My commute was uneventful with light rain and intermittent sunshine. I took some photos of the garden when I got home and then headed off to bed. When I got up seven hours later, it was pouring rain and most of the county was flooded. I was fortunate again when I left for work at 9:00 PM. Dennis had also left and the rain was over.

With much trepidation, I checked for storm damage in the gardens when I got home Monday morning. There was none because there had been no wind, only rain. The only casualty was my garden gnome. Remember that big patch of dirt he stands in?

The rain came down so hard, it splashed mud on him literally from head to toe! Dennis was followed by a tropical air mass. It feels like a steambath. I'm suffering from the excessive heat and humidity, my long-haired cat is suffering, and apparently, the squirrels are suffering too. I looked out my backdoor Monday evening and saw a squirrel draped across the top of a fence. I took a quick picture through the screen and then went out to see if he was okay.

I've never seen a squirrel sprawled like that with his feet and tail hanging off the fence. I don't know if he was tired or just hot, but when I went outside he nimbly hopped up and fled up the tree.

4 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

I wonder if John Cleese would wash him before tucking him under his arm?

Glad that was the worst damage done and that the squirrel was OK.

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Great question! I haven't washed him yet. I'm waiting until the birdbath needs water and then I'll hose him down.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

You just keep taunting me with that damn gnome!!! *crying out of frustration for not having her own gnome to love*

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in the Pacific Northwest but on a recent trip to visit my in-laws in Indiana, I saw squirrels spread-eagled outside on the asphalt walkway, panting from the heat. I wondered why they didn't lay on the ground instead. Maybe the dry grass there tickled their tummies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home