A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Odds and Ends

First a quick update on my favorite neighborhood garden. I drove past it again today and noticed that all is not lost. There are Black-Eyed Susans and a small hydrangea blooming and what appear to be some annuals planted in a corner that the homeowners must have purchased somewhere. Not as dazzling as in the spring, but a definite improvement.

I also noticed that I never posted pictures of my Shasta daisies. I love daisies. They are my favorite flowers. In fact, I have to be careful when I am choosing seeds and planning my gardens that I don't have all daisy-like flowers. I do try to vary the flower forms in each bed.

The Shasta daisies in the Purple Garden, as mentioned previously, were grown from seed. The past few years, they have really taken off. The Shasta daisies in the Cosmos Garden were purchased as a plant probably eight or nine years ago. I have tried unsuccessfully to divide this bunch several times over the years, but the divisions always die on me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

And finally, on a personal note, I may be taking a break from posting or posting from work with no pictures. My PC announced tonight that its hard drive is failing. I panicked about losing all my digital photos and ran to get my laptop and a crossover cable and . . . sorry, this is getting too geeky, isn't it? Sorry! How about: I copied all of my documents and pictures onto my laptop until I can get a proper backup going. Then I have to replace the hard drive and start rebuilding my computer. It's time consuming and a real pain. I'm not looking forward to this.

3 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger kerry said...

On a geeky note. there is software that will allow you to make an exact image of your hard drive onto cdrs or a second hard drive. I've used Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image and Drive Image to do this. You can be on your new drive ready to go in less than an hour depending on how much there is to copy and assuming your existing hard drive will make it through the imaging process.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

That's a great idea Kerry! I didn't think of it since I am using this disaster as an excuse to clean up and rearrange my hard drive. And we always do it the hard way at work. We actually have a two page checklist of software to install on each users' PC. I am having a good laugh at my own expense. My job is monitoring a network overnight and ensuring that the server backups complete correctly every night is a big part of my job. You would think that I back up my personal PC, wouldn't you? Well, I will now.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

I have fallen in love with daisies as well and bought a 2nd one a couple of weeks ago. As for being a geekette with your computer power to you, I can honestly state that I am totally hooped if mine crashes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home