A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Morning Glory Madness

I always look forward to August. Not because of the heat. On the contrary, the older I get, the less I am able to tolerate the hot and humid summers here in New Jersey. August means morning glories. My favorite is Heavenly Blue. They are heavenly. And so blue that they don't even look real. I always plant them at the end of the driveway. It is too shady for them there, but I love seeing them as I come out the door and get into the car.


When I worked normal hours, they were a great pick-me-up before heading off to the madness of the morning rush hour. Now that I am working nights, they are a wonderful welcome when I get home.

Another variety that almost doesn't look real is the Mt. Fuji morning glories. I planted them years ago. Fewer and fewer come back each year.


This year there is only one.

In the Purple Garden, the Milky Way morning glories grow on a trellis I found in Target.

I love the suncatcher in it, especially since it is in the shape of the Sun!

That gave me the idea to place trellises on either side of the door to my shed. The dark green of the trellises and the leaves and the dark purple of the Grandpa Ott morning glories contrast wonderfully with the white of the shed.


I have to be careful going into and out of the shed because the vines often reach the door.

6 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Glories are my favorite. I used to have the blue ones grow on my front deck. They would get so thick and overgrown the mailman would have a heck of a time delivering the mail.

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MALAYSIA: Drop in profit at Carlsberg Malaysia
Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad posted group pre-tax profits for the first six months of the year of RM52.87m , down 14.6% from last year.
Are you interested in stop smoking, look at my sitestop smoking

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't grow any morning glories this year so I am happy to visit yours. I find they don't look real either. My favorite is Heavenly Blue...what a blue!! I Grandpa Ott too & as I write this, I think I like all of them. Maybe next year I will get my act together and get them growing again. Have a good day!

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Does the reseeding bug you? I've decided not to grow them again after pulling at least a hundred seedlings from last summer's MG vines.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kasmira, I love the reseeding. Free plants! Instead of spending money on morning glory seeds, I can buy other things.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger crazygramma said...

This may sound a little off the wall but the blue ones for some reason remind me of fireflies we used to see in Ontario, maybe it is because they seem to be floating and lite up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home