A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My New Favorite Marigolds

I planted a lot of marigolds this year. Most of them were disappointing. The Cempoalxochitl marigolds are so insulted about being virtually hidden behind the gigantic Aztec sunflowers that they have elected not to bloom so far.

The Harlequin marigolds from the 1870's were described as having "brilliant red petals very distinctly divided by a yellow stripe, topped with a small bushy center". And this is what they were supposed to look like:

This is what actually came up:


Just plain old yellow flowers. They have very tiny, very faint red stripes.

And then there were the Cottage Red marigolds that were supposed to look like this:

But they ended up looking like this:

Every year I manage to order so much that I am eligible for free seeds. Of course I can't choose what I would like. The companies prefer to make that decision for me. One of the free packets I received were marigolds called Tiger Eyes from J.W. Jung Seed Co. Not heirloom. No picture on the envelope. I threw them into a bed in the front of the house and forgot about them. Until they bloomed. They are gorgeous. My pictures don't do them justice, so here is a picture from the Jung's site:
A little research revealed that these marigolds are offered by several seed companies. Best of all, Park's Seeds describes them as "an open-pollinated Marigold that has been gracing gardens for more than a century".

My new favorite (heirloom) marigolds!

5 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Looks like some cross breeding, but I love all Marigolds and yours are great.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I have had some things in my garden not come out as expected. I bought a red d'orro lily and it bloomed yellow. I already have yellow!! I had a tropical color mix of nasturtiums that all came out red-orange. Red-orange was not even one of the color options of this mix!

These last ones are lovely marigolds. You will have to save the seeds to plant them next year.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Sylvana, usually most what I plant comes true. This year, I just seemed to have more "that's not what I planted!" than usual. It's kind of fun so see how sneaky seed companies can be. You notice that the picture of the Harlequin marigold was a drawing, not a photo. I've checked several other companies' sites and none of them have photos of them. Kind of tells you something, doesn't it?

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marigolds are outstanding!
I live in Northern Nevada and it's the only plant that can handle the hot and cold high desert climate we got.
They bloom into the middle of November ! One has to take soil into concideration even with Marigolds they will grow every where but if you want blooms like the catalouge you have to give the plant optimal conditions 1.full sun 2.good garden soil not to fertile but not to much clay and not to acid either.3.water regularly and do not let grasses and clovers grow around the plants.
Like the package informs at Thompson-Morgan.com a yellow flower can sometimes be produced due to climate stress.
I planted Cottage red,Jaguar,golden gem,Striped marvel looks like the striped one,Naugthy marietta,Scarlet sopie,Durango bolero red and yellow just amazing flowers!!!!!I will post pictures in erly June!I only got budds so far.
But it's my favorite flower to and I have read it's actually the most planted annual so were not alone!

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.thompson-morgan.com offers 2 photos one of the dwarf version Mr Majestic and one of Striped Marvel Thompson morgan is a reputable seed company with a 100% satisfaction guarantee Try them out next year you will not be disapointed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home