A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Fall Foliage Stroll cont'd

We had our first hard frost this morning. The giant cosmos finally succumbed. I'm so glad I have pictures of them. I don't think I will ever see their like again.

After my leisurely stroll through Helyar Forest on Tuesday, I decided to take advantage of the lovely weather and visit some of my favorite places at Rutgers Gardens. The colors were breathtaking all over the gardens.





There are several buildings in the gardens. One of my favorites is called The Log Cabin. It was built in 1935 as a WPA project. It is, indeed, a log structure with a marvelous stone fireplace. It is located next to a small lake which is posted so I have never done more than peer longingly through the trees.

I have since been told that the property is posted because of a drowning many years ago and that no one would mind if I hopped the fence just to take pictures. Which, of course, I will next time I am on a photo expedition in the gardens.

I just love the little entranceway from the parking lot to the Log Cabin:

And nearby is a bit of garden whimsey. Two branches that are now art.

The Display Gardens, plots of annual flowers planted according to an annual theme by volunteers, have been cleaned up for the year.

Despite the lack of flowers, there was no lack of color. Every where I looked, trees and bushes were putting a dazzling show.




Yes, that's my shadow. It's difficult to photograph subjects when the sun is low in the sky. Having finished my stroll through my favorite haunts, I once more ventured into unknown territory. On my way in, I had noticed a pond which sits below the entrance road. The fall colors made it stand out.



Across the road from the pond is the Bamboo Forest, another place I had never visited. It was planted in the 1950's as a winter shelter for honeybee colonies. The bees left, but the bamboo has remained. I didn't take any pictures because it is very dark in the forest. It's also cool in the summer. Paths are cut through it each year. Following one of them, I ran into the stream that feeds the pond.
I love the sound of water as it ripples over rocks.

This bridge was built as an Eagle Scout project. Six months after it was completed, a hurricane blew down a tree and destroyed the bridge. The bridge was so well constructed, the wood didn't break. It bent.

I had wanted to cross the stream to photograph some things on the other side, but I was afraid to cross the bridge. I shouldn't have been afraid. It is still safe to walk on.

4 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger kerry said...

Beautiful. Most of our leaves are gone here now. This fall they seemed to start late but stayed on the trees longer than normal. I drive through the country to get to work and it was absolutely amazing.

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely forest! It is surprising how much color is still out there. I keep getting my big shadow in my photos this time of year, I don't usually notice until it's too late. You have some great places to explore.

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Stuart said...

Awesome trees and very rich coloured leaves. Great photos. I love the bridge - was that a construction flaw or do you find this structure works best?

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Alice said...

Such fantastic autumn photos. When you are amongst all that beauty don't you just want to stand there forever and soak it all up?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home