A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, December 04, 2005

First Snow

We had our first significant snowfall of the season last night. It was only two ro three inches (5 cm - 7.5 cm), but instead of melting in the warm sun the following day as it usually does at this time of year, the weather is cold enough that the snow is staying. I had wanted to do some more leaf raking on my days off this week. Instead, I will be putting the rake away and getting out the snow shovel.

When I got home from work this morning, I checked the birdfeeders to make sure they were full and spread seed, both birdseed and squirrel food under the feeder. The snow hides what is there from my hungry friends. I have to replenish after every snowfall. My efforts were rewarded. The juncos are back in town. I was gratified to see one of the Little Brown Birds snacking on the suet I had hung on the fence a few days ago.

Another storm predicted to dump even more snow on us is working its way up the coast. Looks like the dire predictions of a hard winter could be coming true. We don't normally get significant snowfalls until January. I don't mind. I would much rather have a lot of snow than a lot of cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home