A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Good News, Bad News

The bad news first. The squirrels (or perhaps a rabbit) ate all the Seashell cosmos seedlings in the semi-shady garden. This is new. I've never had a problem with seedlings being eaten. In the same garden, I had also planted my first climbing rose, Zephirine Drouhin (introduced 1868)which is shade tolerant. I purchased it from a reputable company, I can't remember which one at the moment. It (the rose) is doing exactly nothing. I think it is dead. Contrast this with the two rosebushes I purchased at the drug store of all places. I was filling a prescription last month and saw rosebushes on sale for $4.97 each. I had to look. Unbelievably, I found a Fairy (introduced 1932) and a General Jacqueminot (introduced 1853). I planted them on the site of the failed herb garden and they are both growing nicely.

Also in the good news category, the birds and the squirrels didn't get all of the seeds I planted. The Candy Cane zinnias have sprouted in the New World Garden and the calendulas are coming up in the yellow/orange garden.

I have mystery seedlings that I didn't plant. They only have their first two leaves but judging from their position I'm going to guess that they are cleome that reseeded from last year. If so, they are right next to where I planted the heirloom Rose Queen cleome so they will have to be transplanted somewhere else.

2 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I am ordering Zephirine Drouhin this year because I very stupidly killed the one that came with the house thinking it was a wild rose- it hadn't bloomed until it was on it's death bed three years after I started trying to get rid of it. Apparently once it is established it it VERY hardy! It is strongly perfumed- sweet and rosey. And the flowers are gorgeous! Unfortunately I didn't find out what it was until it was too late to save it. And yes, it will grow in the shade- it was in almost complete shade at my house.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks! I was considering not replacing it if it were dead, but now I will definitely get another one. It sounds great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home