A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Snowdrops in January - Again!

My leg was feeling well enough today to hobble out of the house and make a quick circuit of the backyard on my way to the composter. My leg hasn't been the only thing keeping me indoors. We've been experiencing a Nor'Easter. Here in Central New Jersey, it's been rain only. Further north into New York State and Connecticut, there was up to 10" (25.5 cm) of snow. It felt weird though to hear the weather commentators discussing a Nor'Easter and look out the window and see rain instead of snow. It rained most of yesterday, all last night and most of today. Altogether, we received 1 3/4" (4.5 cm) of rain which translates to over 1' (30 cm) of snow!

Just like last year , I have a snowdrop blooming by the birdbath.


Notice there are two blossoms. Last year, there was only one so not only has this become a regular occurence in my winter garden, the display is also expanding.

Also looking very good are the hellebores:

I have high hopes that at least the ones I planted in the fall of 2004 will bloom this year. Since these are new to my garden, I don't know when to start looking for flowers.

I was also heartened to see very little predation of all the bulbs and tubers I planted in the fall. As usual, I made no notes and drew no plans so I have forgotten a good many of the things I planted. I'm looking forward to lots of pleasant surprises in the spring.

Catalogs continue to pour in although not the one (Select Seeds) that I am anxiously waiting for. Henry Fields is offering both the Red Grootendorst rose (introduced 1918) and the Pink Grootendorst rose (introduced 1923) for $9.95 each. Decisions, decisions.

5 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Kasmira said...

I'll have to poke around my yard. We are also ending a warm spell.

Snowdrops are special to me because they are the first thing I saw blooming in our new-to-us yard last spring. I didn't even know what they were!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Stuart said...

Facing a decision like that....I'd take both.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

happy new year old roses.May all your seeds grow, and the garden look fabulous.My blog will be one year old in febuary.
I also keep forgetting whats planted where, and lose the labels so im reduced to the pink/white flowers.
I want to start my horticulture course again,its sat in a bag.
love snappy

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snowdrops and hellebores! I can only dream...

You poor girl, coping with your injured hip and leg! I hope it heals quickly.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just found your blog and am really enjoying it. I also live in Central New Jersey, in Piscataway. Thanks for the links to the seed stores and cataolgues. Unfortunatley, I don't see anything blooming in my garden yet :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home