A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, February 06, 2006

Garden Voices

Last November, I was contacted about including my blog on a new page that GardenWeb was creating called "Garden Voices". Hey, it's GardenWeb! Of course I said yes. Last month, as the site was reaching completion, I was asked if I would be interested in editing it. They felt that as a gardener, a blogger and someone who was comfortable with technology that I was a good fit. Hey, it's GardenWeb! Of course I said yes. So, after about ten days of learning my way around the software and creating some archives, I am incredibly proud and excited to announce that Garden Voices is making its debut today.

It's a page of garden blog posts and links to articles on various topics of interest to gardeners. Yours truly is doing the snipping and adding the smartass comments. Originally, they were just helping themselves to any blogs that had RSS feeds. I suggested that it might be better blog etiquette if instead they invited bloggers to participate. It's great exposure and should drive lots of traffic to them. This is my personal invitation to everyone who takes the time to read my blog to join Garden Voices. Some of you are already on their feed. If you look at the archives, you will see posts from CrazyGramma, Kasmira, Kathy Purdy and Takoma Gardener. By the way, if any of you don't want to be on the page, let me know and I will remove you from the feed. If you want to join, just click on the link waaaaaaay down near the bottom of the sidebar where it says "add your site". You'll need an RSS feed. Blogger recommends FeedBurner which is what I used.

I can also post pictures from Flickr. They are any pictures on Flickr with the tag "garden". If you don't have a Flickr account, they're free. If you do have one, add "garden" as a tag to your photos and they should show up for me. I warn you though. I'm looking at hundreds of pictures every day. I can't post them all. I look for the ones that make me stop and say "WOW!!" or "What the heck is that?". There are some incredible photographers among the readers of my blog. I would love to be able to feature your photos.

(In the interests of full disclosure, I should tell you that there is a small salary involved. Yup! I'm getting paid to read garden blogs. Aren't you insanely jealous?)

I hope that all of you reading this will take a moment and check out Garden Voices. It would be even better if you decided to participate. You are all great writers and photographers who should be getting the kind of exposure that this site will provide. I hope to see you there. If you decide to join, tell them OldRoses sent you!

4 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I checked out Garden Voices--an excellent site. I wish you much luck with it. It is all very exciting news.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

WOW! You have been BUSY!! Things seem to be just falling into place for you. I'm very impressed.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Neato mosquito! I love being able to see who has posted what recently instead of clicking on every site. Thanks for including me.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Jessica Harwood said...

Congrats! I enjoy the summaries and it's introduced me to some new blogs. And thank you for including me :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home