A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My Rose Orders

Last week, I placed my order for rosebushes from Jung's . After much agonizing, I decided to go along with my original plan and be extremely conservative. I only ordered two roses, Zephirine Drouhin (1868) and Seven Sisters (1817). I was pretty sure I would find more roses cheaply later in the season. While I was at it, I also ordered a Munstead Lavender. It was only $3.95 for a plant. Last year, I planted a Hidcote Lavender so I have effectively doubled my lavender collection! Then came the blizzard last weekend. . .

I shovelled out my driveway early in the day but my street didn't get plowed for hours. I couldn't go anywhere. So I went shopping. Online, of course. Michigan Bulb Co had sent me an email reminding me that I had a coupon for $20 off of a $40 order. I love half-price! I clicked over to their roses. Red Grootendorst (1918) $7.99. Pink Grootendorst (1923) $7.99. I may have math phobia, but even I realized that a $20 coupon meant free rosebushes! And they were buy 1, get 1 free! To make up the rest of the $40, I went to their peonies. I got a Sarah Bernhardt (thanks for introducing me to this one Sabine!) introduced 1906 and a Karl Rosenfeld, 1908. I already have a Festiva Maxima (1851) that I planted last fall. Four rosebushes and two peonies for $20. Hee, hee. I love blizzards!

The groundhog predicted six more weeks of winter, didn't he? I have more catalogs with $25 off $50 orders. . .

2 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Sarah Bernhardt peonies were on sale at Home Depot last summer and I didn't buy any! I've been kicking myself ever since. I'm hoping they'll be back.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Bowl of Beauty is another great must have peony. I've just discovered Garden Voices! Way to go! Great site!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home