A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, February 20, 2006

NJ Flower & Garden Show (Part 2)

Continuing on my westward odyssey, my next stop was "Walk in the Orient":



At first, I was amazed that someone had done such a great job raking all the sand (how do they do that?). Then I realized that no one was walking on it:
They were all respectfully staying on the pathways. Amazing!

Then it was back to Italy. Weren't we just in Tuscany? Has Rome moved? Geography certainly has gotten much more confusing than when I studied it.

Yes, it was that boring. I'm not even going to comment on this next one. Tacky, tacky, tacky.




The "Influence of the American Garden" had an actual lawn which I wasn't able to get a picture of due to the crowds.


I did have a quibble with the azaleas:
I'm originally from upstate NY. I never saw azaleas until I moved south.

This garden screamed "New Jersey" to me, not America.

On to the flower arrengements from the Garden Club of New Jersey. I enjoyed them so much more than last year. Last year, the arrangements were very creative but the flowers looked tortured. This year, the arrangements struck me as much more natural.

There was whimsy:

There was WOW!:
There was How'd they do that????


New this year (or maybe I didn't notice them last year) were hanging arrangements:


There were arrangements that just made me smile:




My favorite was the fairy houses:
Someone managed to get an entire "neighborhood" in one bowl:


I'm already looking forward to next year's show.

2 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sand always amazes me in a Japanese garden. It is peaceful. How they keep it raked & perfect is the question, certainly not a garden I could keep at home. Thanks for sharing your flower & garden show!

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Judith, I'm so glad you've enjoyed the pictures. I definitely enjoyed it more this year than last year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home