A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Mystery Tulips

Like most gardeners, I find myself pacing the yard, peering into all the beds, willing the bulbs to come up. Some of them continue to disappoint. Only one clump of daffodils out of at least three that I planted in the Green Garden last fall has appeared so far. The double snowdrops continue to be MIA. Grape hyacinths are popping up all over except for the new yellow ones I planted last fall. The Thalia daffodils that I planted two years ago and that bloomed so prettily last spring are making an exceptionally early appearance. However the (free) ones that I planted last fall have not yet come up.

A pleasant surprise has been the Rip Van Winkle daffodils. Not only are they coming up again, they appear to have multiplied. Instead of individual plants, small bunches are appearing. If this keeps up, in a few years this small plot will be a sea of yellow in the spring.


Around the corner, is The Little Hyacinth That Could. I was considering moving it last fall, but chickened out at the last moment. After everything it has been through, I didn't want to risk damaging or even killing it. It is really going gangbusters as you can see below. But wait . . . what's that behind it?
Don't bother clicking the picture. I'll enlarge it for you:

It's a tulip growing where no tulip has ever grown or been planted before! There's even a second one in that same bed. How did they get there? What kind of tulips are they? It's stuff like this that makes gardening so much fun. I'll post more pictures as the season progresses.

4 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what fun! It's snowing here again and it's supposed to change to rain. Yuck!

I'll have to keep an eye out for those Rip Van Winkle daffodils. I don't have much luck with daffodils. Your tulips may have hitched a ride in some dirt, or maybe even grown from seed. I love surprises like that.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Could a rodent have snitched it from another part of the yard (or someone else's yard) and buried it there?

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kasmira, I hadn't considered animals. I've been assuming they are from seeds dropped by the birds. But you could be right. I'm pretty sure I have a chipmunk or rabbit living under my composter. I've seen the tunnel entrance.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

I vote for rodents. Tulips and crocuses are both prime rodent goodies. My double snowdrops were the first to bloom last year, and this year they are barely out of the ground. Keep looking! With such a wacky winter, it wouldn't be surprising if some plants were thrown off their usual schedule.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home