A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, February 27, 2006

First Crocus

Yesterday morning when I came home from work, I spotted the first crocuses of the season. Yellow, of course. I believe this is the earliest I have ever seen them. Usually crocuses don't make an appearance until March.

This is not a very good picture. It is difficult to get a good picture of this bunch. They are in front of my house in what used to be the side of the front bed. Then the slab next to it got removed during a porch/sidewalk renovation. I can't get close to them now without walking on a whole lot of other stuff.

In the backyard, my Rip Van Winkle daffodils have started to come up. Also making an appearance are the Actaea daffodils that I planted last fall. I'm looking forward to those blooming. They are my favorite daffodils. In the Wildflower garden something is coming up, but I'm not sure what. Last fall I planted English bluebells and Golden Bells daffodils. I got very artistic when I planted them, tossing them into the bed and then planting them where they fell for a "natural" look. Since I've never grown either one, I don't know what the foliage looks like and since I don't know what got planted where, I have no clue what is coming up right now! If I had to guess, I would say they are the daffodils. I expect the bluebells to pop up about the same time as the hyacinths.

A huge disappointment has been the double snowdrops that I planted in the Green Garden. There has been no sign of them nor have I seen any telltale holes indicating that a hungry rabbit or squirrel has dug them up.

I am impatiently awaiting blossoms on the hellebores. They are not even budded!

7 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Oooh - I'm so jealous. My crocus are not blooming yet. I think I may finally have a single snowdrop blooming. (It looked ready to burst last weekend.) I also planted English bluebells, but I'd have to dig around in the leaf mulch to see if they are poking up yet. No hyacinths here, either, except the ones I forced in the garage.

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so excited the other day to find crocus popping up here & there and I did take note of the daffodils just beginning to emerge--alas, everything is covered in snow today! Your crocus look beautiful.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Alice said...

Hellebores - winter to spring. Have yours been disturbed? Perhaps they are having a rest this year, or maybe it's like waiting for milk to boil - it does nothing while you watch it, and the minute you turn away it boils over. Hopefully, your flowers will surprise you in the Spring, when you've forgotten all about them.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

My double snowdrops show no sign of emerging either, and in other years they have bloomed first. My understanding is that animals don't like them, but I wonder if prolonged drought during the summer could do them in.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kasmira, the first snowdrop is always so exciting. To me it says"spring is finally on the way!"

Judith, we had ice. I would rather have had snow. I worry about ice damaging the emerging perennials.

Alice, I planted the hellebores in the fall of 2004 and 2005. I've been waiting two years for the darned things to bloom!

Thanks, Kathy. I've never grown them before so, like the hellebores, I don't know what to expect. Perhaps they are similar to Martagon lilies which can stay dormant for up to year after being planted.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I can't wait until my bulbs start showing themselves. Right now, everything is still looking pretty wintery out there.

I have some of these very crocuses. They are my some of my favorite.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Looks like we are together on Hellebore watch. I can't wait to see what I have, color-wise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home