A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Pleasant Surprise

I went a little crazy ordering from catalogs over the winter. All those two for one sales and $25 off $50 or more seemed to rob me of all common sense. Or maybe it just the fact that it was still winter, I couldn't garden, so shopping seemed an appropriate thing to do. Reality is setting in now that cartons of plants and bare roots are arriving at my door almost daily.

My Michigan Bulb order arrived today. I had been dreading this. I fell for their glossy catalog with the gorgeous pictures, their $20 off coupon and then the next catalog with the "Buy One, Get One FREE" sticker. It was only after I had placed two orders with them that I checked Garden Watchdog . It contained a litany of horrors. Dead plants, inappropriate substitutions, cancelled orders, incorrect billings, etc., etc. So it was with much fear and trepidation that I opened the box.

I was pleasantly surprised. Everything was well-packed and in great shape. In fact, the plants look better than plants I have received in the past from reputable nurseries like Springhill. My order was complete and correct. The only things missing were the rosebushes which should be shipped later anyways. Here's what came:

6 Coronation Gold Yarrow
6 Fire King Yarrow
6 Hens & Chicks
6 Lady's Mantle
1 Karl Rosenfield Peony
1 Sarah Bernhardt Peony

I've grown peonies before at my last house but all the rest are new to me. So I'm glad they're in such great shape. Except perhaps the Hens & Chicks. One side of the bag is clear and I can see that each bag has two good roots and one root that doesn't look so hot. That's okay. Remember, three of those roots were free.

The White Flower Farm catalog also arrived today. It has the candelabra primroses that I am looking for. 3 for $24.95! That's a little steep. And just for giggles, in their section on Native Plants I saw one of my mystery plants. They call it Snowbank Boltonia . They are selling it for $7.95 each. I have it growing for free all over my backyard!

2 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am also from NJ and I came across your blog today and thrilled to see somebody in the vicinity. I also ordered from Michigan bulb in the past and then decided not to order from them anymore. But then when I saw the catalog, I have ordered pastel rose collection from them this month. I should be getting them any minute now.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Katina Mooneyham said...

My grandma has a bad order from them but it was due to her inability to follow up on a mistake she made.

But I know how it is when we order things because we get spring and garden fever.

We (family and I) spent (and continue to spend) way over what we had planned to this year. But it's going to be worth it.

Thanks for the Garden Watchdog link. That is a good place to look for problems etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home