A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, April 13, 2006

More Random Pictures of Spring

I have loads and loads of violets in my yard. I keep reading about what a great scent violets have, but mine don't seem to have any.


For some reason, I've never noticed the insides of tulips before. I think I like it better than the outside.
My hydrangeas have grown to cover the tulips. It was unintentional but has worked out well. In the spring before the hydrangeas have any leaves, the tulips bloom and provide color. As their flowers and foliage fade, the hydrangeas leaf out and hide them.
I told you I had a lot of white daffodils. I didn't plant these.
Nor did I plant these!
Or these. There are tons and tons of these daffodils in the round garden. I don't find them attractive because they face downwards.
These are Narcissus bulbocodium "Golden Bells". I didn't realize how tiny they are.

Here's a better picture of them. Aren't they cute? They are supposed to multiply freely. I hope so. Another picture of the Thalia daffodils. They have a strong scent. It's really wonderful. I'm not accustomed to daffodils that have a scent. One of the many reasons I love heirlooms.
My Alpine strawberries are beginning to bloom.
And already I have mystery plants! They're hard to spot in this picture. Right behind the primroses. Judging from the foliage, I'm guessing they are foxgloves. I have planted foxglove seeds that never germinated in this garden before but I can't remember what kind they were.
I have no clue what this is.
After nearly a decade, there are not many tulips left in my gardens. I planted a few last fall. I will have to add tulips to my list of bulbs for this fall.

4 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Your violets are gorgeous! I was going to take some pictures of mine but I don't think they're as nice as yours are.

I like your unusual shy daffodils. They would look sweet with my scilla, which also faces downwards. Wouldn't the blue and white look nice together? I can't keep daffodils alive, though. My neighbour's daffodils are dying off, too. I think we have a daffodil pest here. Tulips, on the other hand, thrive and multiply here like you would not believe.

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have decided I like Mystery Plants. At some time I will be able to tell what they are, but at the beginning of the season they do keep me at bay wondering....who are you??? Your garden looks great. I like the white daffodils--I don't have any of the white; they are very nice!

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your violets might be Labrador violets (though mine have more purplish leaves). The scented violets are English violets, but there are lots of other violets and violas that are not scented.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Kasmira said...

The two violets I most often see associated with fragrance are viola odorata and Parma violets. The former are hardy and the latter are not.

I'm trying to grow viola odorata from seed this year. No success yet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home