A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Still Blooming

One of the few things I like about living in New Jersey is the long growing season. Even after more than two decades, I still can't believe that it's November and I still have flowers. The Bachelors Buttons in the Entry Garden are blooming up a storm. I especially love this bi-colored one.

I've never seen one like this, have you? In addition to the usual blue, there are some lovely dark purple blossoms.

In the backyard, annual Black-Eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta) are still putting on a brave show.

The perennial ones (Rudbeckia fulgida) gave up the ghost long ago! I don't normally allow the annual ones to flower. I usually am pretty ruthless about weeding them out because they are so invasive but this border was virtually devoid of flowers this summer so I allowed them to grow and blossom. I will regret this next year!

Three of the rosebushes I planted this year are growing spectacularly! The first two are Belle de Crecy and Mme Pierre Oger. I didn't label them and I have forgotten which one is which. I'll find out when they bloom. The last is Seven Sisters.





The Seven Sisters is AMAZING! I thought that it had died so I asked the company for a replacement. By the time the replacement arrived, this rose had leaves so I transplanted it to its current spot and planted the replacement in the original spot where I wanted it. Now the replacement appears to have died. I'm just leaving it. It may come back and then I'll have two of them!

4 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Good luck with the heirloom rose. It's cool that you can still buy 'Seven Sisters' - I've only known this rose as a Passalong plant. My mom had it when I was a kid, and we liked to make tiny bouquets with the differently colored blossoms.

Annie

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Annie, this is the first time I've seen it offered in a catalog so I grabbed it. I can't remember which catalog, though!

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to get a 'Seven Sisters' rose. We had one when I was growing up, at least I think that is what it was. You lucky gardener! I hope you have some beautiful blooms next spring/summer to post pictures of!

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MS OLDROSE ,
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU. i LIVE IN mARYLAND AND I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT WHEN DO YOU PLANT GARDENIAS. I'VE NEVER PLANTED THEM BEFORE THEY WAS A GIFT FROM A FRIEND. I HAD ASKED HIM WHAT KIND OF GARDENIAS THEY WERE A ND HE DIDN'T KNOW. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME. I FIGURE SINCE YOU WAS IN JERSY AND I'M IN MARYLAND OUR CLIMATE ARE ABOUT THE SAME. THANK YOU,
KAREN
*email me at Bu3kar@aol.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home