A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Floriculture Greenhouse

I've written a number of posts about working at the Floriculture Greenhouses at the School of Environmental & Biological Sciences formerly known as Cook College. It's a complex of greenhouses filled with wonderful plants. We were treated to a tour in January during the plant propogation classes for the Master Gardener course I took. Ever since then, I have taken advantage of my work days there to wander the aisles. I took some pictures inside the greenhouses while I was there last weekend.

There is so much to see that it's hard to decide where to look first. The staghorn fern?

The cacti?

The jade trees?

Have you ever seen an aloe bloom? I haven't.

Ivy . . .

Ferns . . .

Air plants . . .

Pitcher plants . . .

I've forgotten what this one is called but I remember being told that they existed with the dinosaurs.

When the woman who currently runs the greenhouses started, there were only a few orchids. Now she has an entire room filled with them.








By far the biggest event each year is the poinsettia trials. All the new varieties are grown then the greenhouses are open to the public for display and sale. If you look carefully, you can see that the poinsettias occupy three greenhouses.

There are poinsettias of every conceivable size, shape and color. Some of them don't even look like poinsettias.

I missed the open house last year due to my work schedule. I'm definitely going to make it this year. And bring my camera!

7 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "dinosaur plant" is a cycad.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Old roses its like a sweet shop for plant lovers.It looks awesome!!

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could grow orchids like the ones in the picture. For me they last about 6 months - do not flower - then die! I can grow most other things - just not moth orchids!

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger LostRoses said...

Old Roses, what an embarrassment of riches! I too, never know where to look first when faced with so many choices. Sounds like you have a wonderful time there!

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks, A! I wracked my brains, but couldn't come up with the name.

Snappy, that's a great description. I totally agree.

Tim, my mother grew orchids in our basement. She only brought them upstairs when they bloomed because she thought they were ugly plants. I've never tried orchids myself.

LostRoses, I love the atmosphere. All those growing things seem to give off energy. You can feel it in the air.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

I love going into greenhouses like that. Horticultural sensory overload. I can live off just the scent for days! That peat-y, green smell that permeates throughout.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Carol, "horticultural sensory overload" - exactly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home