A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mystery Plant

Have you ever ordered so many seeds/bulbs/tubers/plants that you forgot what you ordered? I just did. The lilies that I had ordered arrived yesterday. I put them in the basement with all the other bulbs that have been arriving for weeks. There, I thought, now I have everything and just in time. I'm taking next week off from work to get everything planted/transplanted.

Then UPS dropped another box on my doorstep today. I didn't have a clue what it was. There were two plants inside. The New England aster I remember ordering and something called "Phlomis tuberosa". I wracked my brain. I checked my spreadsheet (incomplete, I admit). Nothing. I resorted to an old memory trick. Think about something completely different. Your brain continues working on the problem.

I went back to washing windows. I've been winterizing my house. Today's chore was cleaning and installing the storm windows on my doors and windows. And then it hit me. AKA Jerusalem Sage. I had seen it in a catalog and fallen in love with it.

That's the picture from the catalog. Isn't it gorgeous? Just perfect for my new entry garden which was a total bust this year. I'm hoping with the addition of this, some lilies, some iris, some poppies and a couple more lavender, it will look better next year.

Now, if I could only remember where I wanted to plant the Guinea Hen Flowers. . . .



8 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Tina said...

That Jerusalem Sage looks like it is going to be quite a hummer-catcher! Very pretty plant indeed.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Naturegirl said...

Love that Jerusalem Sage must fit into my garden next year! I have never planted from seed always purchased plants in spring..well my bulbs I do plant.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

But at least they were GOOD surprises in the mail, instead of, say, overdue bills or something! :)

Why was your front garden such a bust this year? I followed the link but only got to the post where you were talking about its creation...

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Sew, you are correct. It is supposed to attract hummers. Love your blog, by the way. Any interest in joining us over at Garden Voices?

Naturegirl, I'm just the opposite. I've always grown from seed. Now I'm doing more plants too.

Kim, I was gardening in three towns this year so I didn't blog a lot but I did take loads of photos. My plan is to revisit this growing season over the winter and post some of those photos. I'm definitely planning at least one post on the Entry Garden Disaster.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Tina said...

Well my goodness...how long has Garden Voices been there and I haven't noticed? I'd be delighted to join!

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks fabulous. I will have to see if I can track one down here in New Zealand. It looks like it would be perfect for my rather empty border.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

I've always seen the tall yellow Jerusalem Sage but haven't tried to grow it [grey foliage, possibly Phlomis lanata?].

This green-leaved species is a new one to me, too. I hope it does well for you!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for next summer when you report to us how the Jerusalem Sage is growing. What a stunner. You are putting together a beautiful entry garden. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who bumps into mystery plants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home