A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Ta Da!!

It's finally finished. My first new garden in almost a decade. Also my opening salvo to eliminate my front lawn. The edges are ragged. I considered taking more time to straighten them out but I plan on expanding this garden in the fall and next spring so it doesn't really matter.

Because my front yard slopes downward towards the street, I've left turf around it to stabilize the soil until the plants are established and I get a retaining wall built along the driveway.

My homeless plants are homeless no more!

I situated The Fairy in the corner to provide continuity and soften the edges between the sidewalk and the driveway. I crossed my fingers when I transplanted it especially since it is budded. Around it, I planted the yarrow the I brought home from the Master Gardener veggie garden . in front of that is my lavender "collection". I noticed the both the Hidcote and the Munstead are budded. I'm hoping the buds survive the move. My other varieties are a Spanish lavender and the Lavender Lady that I acquired while planting my Master Gardener herb bed. In the fall when that bed has to be cleared out, my partner and I will split clumps of Grosso and Provence lavenders. I've left room across the top of this bed for them. The flattened plants are Bells of Ireland that I started in another bed. I've discovered that they hate, hate, hate to be transplanted and express their displeasure by going limp for at least 24 hours. They perk up after that.

The garden looks very sparse not just because the plants are small but more importantly because I have seeded it with annuals: cosmos, zinnias, marigolds, bachelor's buttons, asters, nasturtiums and, just for giggles, some of the wild lupines. Yes, I did walk on them after I planted them.

I'm hoping by August it will look as full as this border:

The pink flowers are Ipswich Pinks that I grew from seed years ago in another bed and then transplanted into this border before they bloomed. I didn't realize that some of the "clumps" were actually different plants. The results look like good candidates for the Weirdness Chronicles:
Here is my one cat fur failure: my pot seeded with catnip. No matter how much cat hair I put in it, something keeps digging in the pot and destroying the seedlings.
Sorry, I can't resist. This is the view from my computer:


Jealous, aren't you?



7 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Isn't fun creating a new garden? I have finally started to make some good progress in mt side garden however you are a couple of steps ahead of me with yours.

And yes I am jealous of your view from your computer!

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks for not mentioning the ugly compost bin! Only a gardener could think it was beautiful.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger RusticateGirl said...

I'm sure your new garden will be beautiful! I just got the Fairy this year for the first time, so far I'm very pleased.

I get my seeds from Pinetree as well, I always purchase from them or Johnny's.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Are you sure that it isn't CATS that are eating your catnip seedlings? My cats quickly found where mine were planted and pulled them out to eat - roots and all. I don't think cat hair would do much to deter other cats.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kasmira, I don't know what to think. At first, I was sure it was the neighbor's cat. Then I realized I haven't seen it(the cat) around in a couple of months. And would the bunny be spending so much time in a yard regularly patrolled by a cat? The cat does hunt. I've seen him go after the birds on my feeders. He literally jumped into the air to get at them.

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just before I left town last time I was admiring my little "catmint" plant. It was thriving and I looked forward to seeing some blue flowers this year. When we got home it was nearly demolished. I thought someone had stomped on it. I went to rinse the dirt off the few remaining living bits and found cat hair. So-o-o... I laid down some throny rose prunings from my Harrison's Yellow and made a little teepee out of rose twigs over top of the plant. So far, so good. I'm just hoping that any cat with ideas would approach cautiously. I love cats and would hate to hurt one.

Now I know that it's called catnip or catmint for good reason!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Janet said...

I don't dare even TRY to plant catnip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home