A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Planting the Display Gardens - Day 2

Not as many photos today for a number of reasons the most important of which is that I didn't stay as long because I am working tonight and needed to get a nap in this afternoon. The other reasons were that I was helping to unload flats of flowers and I was offloading mulch from a large truck into wheelbarrows which I then wheeled to the beds being mulched. Along the side of the road where the truck was parked were these lovely columbine:


Siberian iris blooming in a perennials bed in the display gardens:
An "artsy" shot of the iris:
The process was the same as yesterday. The beds were marked with spray paint. The beds that were worked on today were the year and theme beds. This is the theme bed. The theme this year is "The Spirit of the Gardens" so the word "spirit" was traced out . . .
. . . and then planted with flowers . . .
. . . then mulched and watered.
The bed in the lower left corner of the above picture is shown below:
Unfortunately, I had to leave before the year bed was planted. I will have to get pictures of that one another time.

This is the lady that makes it all happen:

In addition to her job as the Volunteer Coordinator for Rutgers Gardens, she is a certified Horticultural Therapist and very active in the American Horticultural Therapy Association. She is also a Master Gardener, a member of the Steering Committee for the Middlesex County Master Gardeners, chairperson of the Horticultural Therapy sub-committee where she is responsible for coordinating all of the Master Gardeners volunteering in various hort therapy programs in the county and the chairperson of the Newsletter sub-committee overseeing the publication of Middlesex County Master Gardener newsletter. She is the one who recruited me to work on it.

The most amazing part is not just how she manages to juggle all of her responsibilities but that she is always cheerful and smiling, even when she is most stressed. She is truly an inspiration.


3 Comments:

At 2:35 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Good grief girl where do you find all the time and energy to do all the things you do? I must tell you I am totally impressed and that I love seeing your pictures, my favorite are the ones of your roses.

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been a busy master gardener! I was able to meet NJ master gardeners last week when I attended the national master gardener's conference in Newport, RI (Passion for Gardening) of which the MGA I belong to was hosting. So many wonderful MGers out there from all over the country. Wish you could have broken away to attend the conference, but I see you have been very busy.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Judith, we looked into the cost of attending the conference and it was out of reach for most of us. Sigh . . . I would love to have gone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home