A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, August 28, 2006

The Weirdness Chronicles 2006 Chapter Seven

I am new to hostas. All I really know about them boils down to two simple facts. They grow well in the shade and they bloom either in July or August. So far, so good. When I purchased the above hosta at the end of June and planted it on the Fourth of July, it was blooming. Not surprising. What is surprising is when I went out today, I noticed it was sending up another flower stalk.

Do hostas bloom twice a year?

6 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Blogger Elanor said...

I have a lot of hostas and generally around half of them blooms twice during summer.

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some of my hostas will bloom more than once, especially if I have cut the flower scape off earlier and not let it linger on the plant. I wonder what hosta this is? I like your Weirdness Chronicles! http://www.hosta.org/index.htm

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, it could be that you just purchased the plant this year. Often hostas are either in bloom or almost in bloom at the nursery, regardless of the time of year. I can see one of those blooming again at it's "natural" time.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

Sometimes nurseries and stores will artificially force blooms. So this could just be the time it is supposed to bloom. Guess you'll find out for sure next year. :o)

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

It could also be that you have two or more plants in the clump, one bloomed, then the other. But, it is surprising they would bloom that far apart. That's WEIRD!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Judith, it's a "grocery store" hosta!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home