A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Gardening Birds

When I had my sewer line replaced in 2002, the trench destroyed a good portion of my sidewalk leading to my driveway and the street. I decided that this was a good time to replace the crumbling concrete walks and porch and installed cobblestone. One slab that was lifted was never replaced. It became an extension of the garden in front on my house. Except that I couldn't seem to find anything that would grow there.

Finally, the birds took matters into their own hands (wings? beaks?) and planted goldenrod there. I loved the tall plants in that awkward corner. Last fall when I toured the Master Gardener herb gardens as part of the orientation, I saw Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate in person for the first time and promptly fell in love. I decided it would be the perfect plant for the front corner.

I tried to grow it from seed, but it is difficult to germinate so I bought a few plants from one of the Master Gardener plant sales. I needn't have bothered. The birds have decided to try hollyhocks this year:
I love the color they have chosen. It's dark enough to show up against the crappy white aluminum siding but colorful enough to stand out from the equally crappy blacktop of the driveway and ageing wooden porch. Most people have songbirds. I have gardening birds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home