A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, June 19, 2006

For Snappy . . .

. . . because I know how much he loves Busy Lizzies.

I've had such good luck with containers this year that I decided to drag out my old porch boxes. They're a little dirty, a little bent out of shape, but they will do. I bought these at the grocery store because I love the color. I bought some purple ones with white stripes for the other box, but they aren't nearly as attractive. They had been displayed in full sun. The foliage is sun-scorched and they are very leggy. My porch is very shady. It sits under my neighbor's oak tree. I'm hoping they will recover. I know that I shouldn't have bought them, but I liked them too much to pass them up.

7 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Oldroses, i love busy lizzies despite the fact mine have had nothing but problems.A shaded area will suit them fine.I want some double bloomed ones (new guinea impatiens?) in a pot.I may have to search for seeds to grow indoors.The yorkshire climate is too wild for them in my borders.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Those are so pretty. I know what you mean about "I really shouldn't buy these" but that's what its all about.

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Snappy, believe it or not, my containers have been so successful this year that I will be doing more next year and one of them is going to be New Guinea Impatiens! I have a great spot for them (I hope!). I can't wait to compare notes with you on them!

Crazygramma, since I am way behind in posting, I can report to you that the striped ones recovered so well that they are now doing better than the salmon ones! Picture coming soon, I hope.

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that what Busy Lizzies are? Oh, now I will be calling them that instead of 'impatiens'. How cute! I have them bordering my new shade bed in the back yard.

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Container planting is tops, isn't it!? I didn't pull out many containers this year and regret it. I didn't know what Busy Lizzies were either. They are very attractive looking. Glad to hear you are having great success with the containers and Busy Lizzies. (love to say the name)

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I grow impatiens every year. My favorite are the light or bright pink ones. Reds kind of get lost in the shade, but I like those too.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Naturegirl said...

I planted some dl. impatiens in a soft pink so romantic. shall post soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home