A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, June 16, 2006

Oh . . . Oh . . . Oh . . .

La Reine Victoria finally bloomed. I've never seen a rose like this outside of a Victorian painting. I didn't know that they actually existed. I had always thought they were a product of artistic license.

I keep running outside to look at it. And take pictures.

Yes, I know it needs weeding. I should, perhaps, weed THEN take pictures. But I've been too excited. The miniature green rose, although not very green, is also looking pretty.

As are the "mystery purple aster-like things that bloom in the spring and therefore can't be asters but look remarkably like them" (it's a good think no one has ever put me in charge of naming plants, isn't it?):


My poppy patch is looking great. Judging from the number of buds, it will be spectacular. I grew these from seed that I saved from last year from plants that germinated from free seed packets.

I noticed some interesting colors and petal forms:

I had what I thought was a great idea of growing hollyhocks along the side of the shed. They are tall enough and colorful enough to break up the large white expanse. Unfortunately, it looks like I will lose them all to rust:



My Nikko Blue hydrangeas have begun to bloom:


No, that is not a candidate for the Weirdness Chronicles. In January of 2002, I had my sewer line replaced which involved digging an enormous trench from the foundation of my house to the curb. The hydrangea on the left was uncermonious yanked from the ground and left with its roots exposed for almost a month in the middle of winter. I was sure that it had died but, having nothing to lose, replanted it when the trench was filled in. Amazingly, it was still alive. Barely. It was severely stunted. It has taken a few years for it to get settled back in and start to grow again. The soil it is growing in is from a different strata and must be a different pH creating the pink color. I'm just glad that it's still alive.

9 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love coming here and looking..simply gorgeous..
I wonder about the purple aster look alikes...I want some..
You want more poppy seeds?? I have a lot!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Oh Oldroses those are wonderful roses. I do the same thing I get so excited about a long awaited or unexpected bloom that I just take pictures regardless of the weeds. Hope you don't mind I used the picture of the first rose as a background. Love seeing your shots.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Lou, thanks. I'm saving seed from these poppies so I can expand my poppy patch again next year.

Crazygramma, what a compliment using my photo as a background! I'm doing a newsletter for Rutgers Gardens. I'm illustrating it with photos I took of various landmarks and plants there. I hope it gets put online on their website so I can show off a little.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Beautiful roses, and poppies.I read that hydrangea colours depends on the soil aluminium and not PH.The blue ones must have some aluminum, someone was using rusty nails as a source in the soil.I want a hydrangea soon..

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have those "aster look-alikes". I thought I had lost them all after dividing the plant last year but they ALL survived. Mine were labelled "Aster alpinus 'Dunkle Schone'" (Dunkle Schone means Dark Beauty in German, but there should be 2 dots over the 'o'.) So they really are asters.

I posted a picture from last year at http://sabinesgarden.blogspot.com/2006/05/cheating-bit.html

One thing I miss about living in this extreme climate is blue hydrangeas. So beautiful! I bought an "Annabelle" hydrangea (white only)last fall, which is the only hydrangea that will survive the winter here, I read. It barely made it through the winter but it's doing OK now.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Your small purple aster-like flowers look like the wildflowers my mother used to call "Michaelmas daisies" when I was a kid.

I love that big pink rose. I can see why you'd want to take lots of photos of it.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger RusticateGirl said...

Wow, that is one beautiful rose. How is it on disease resistance, or do you spray regularly?

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I think those aster "look-alikes" are really spring blooming flowers called fleabane.

Your roses looks AWESOME! I want one now.

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Sue Swift said...

Looking at your purply aster-like flowers - I think they're erygeron (which I think may be another name for fleabane.
I'm suffering from rust too at the moment - but on my begonias. My hollyhocks have been fine and healthy all season. Anyone know a non-chemical remedy??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home