A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Finally!

Madonna Lilies are supposed to be difficult to grow. I've had incredible luck with my first bulb. It germinated last year, had a second flush of growth in the fall and this year it has bloomed. As you can see from the picture, I was so excited about the blossoms that I was photographing them in the rain. This is another flower that doesn't show up well against the white shed. Rather than transplanting bulbs that are doing very well where they are, I think I should just paint the shed!

5 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I would paint the shed or put a painted trellis behind it (even though the lily doesn't need a trellis, it would help as a backdrop). Or you could get a stretch of fence and put it up against the shed and have the fence a color that would be a good backdrop. It would break up the expanse of the shed wall and give the flowers a good backdrop (This would especially be good if your shed color matches your house color and you would like to keep it that way).

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

I agree with Sylvana paint the shed. Love the lily.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, congratulations on the garden work- and on uploading all those great images for us to see- that must have taken some time as well! I'm wanted to do the Master Garder's program here in Oklahoma, but my schedule still won't allow it. Oh well, there's always my own backyard.

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way- just saw your book list and thought of a question: I'm interested in colonial era/ settlement era gardening. what are some of your favorite vegetables to grow from that era?

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Sylvana, my house is white!

Sasha, I don't grow veggies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home